Influence

Thursday, February 9, 2012

National Bagel & Lox Day!

This morning, I was checking my email. I was reading one that comes from a Jewish life/news/food site and it mentioned that today, February 9 is National Lox & Bagels day. I immediately had to call my Dad and inform him of this event. I just knew he'd appreciate it. Of course he is out of the country on business, but still, he had a laugh over the news. So, good times.

There is hardly any other breakfast treat that is so undeniably Jewish than lox and bagels. Go to any Jewish style deli, pretty much anywhere, and there will be lox and bagels on the menu. I believe this really became prevalent in America in the 40's and 50's as Eastern European Jews started immigrating in droves to New York City. There's a tasteless joke about thanking Hitler for our common day bagel and shmear somewhere, but I'm going to leave that tackiness alone.

 I myself have never been a cold lox fan. Some Jew I am, right?? But, I'm going to share with you readers the way I DO enjoy lox. I need it heated up and with some more flavors. And this recipe is FABULOUS on top of a toasted bagel. I would also highly recommend this recipe for a Sunday Brunch. It's a snap to prepare, but looks like some decent effort went into it. That's perfect when you're entertaining and need time to step away from the stove and sip your second or third (or fourth) Mimosa. Hey-O!

Here it is folks, from my Jew-ish kitchen to yours, with lox of love.

LEO Scramble
(lox, eggs, and onions)
Serves 8

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, minced
8oz smoked salmon, chopped (AKA lox)
10 eggs, whisked
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Mince the onion and add it to the skillet as you go.
Saute the onion for 4-5 minutes. You want it to soften and sweat. This is the time to chop the lox up.
Add the lox pieces to the skillet. Saute another 3 to 4 minutes. This is just enough time to warm the lox through and give it a bit of texture.
Pour the eggs into the skillet and give them a nice gentle scramble. The medium heat is key here. Too high, and you can burn the eggs.
Stir the mixture every couple of seconds. You're going for a scramble, not an omelet. Cook the eggs to your desired doneness, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

Like I said before, this is delish on top of a toasted bagel, but it's perfectly wonderful by itself too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment