Influence

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

52 Weeks of Cooking - Week 1

For the first cooking challenge this year, the theme was eggs. Now I don’t know about you, but I pretty much always have eggs in the house. My hubby doesn't love them as a breakfast food, but they have been incorporated into every other meal of the day. For this challenge, I wanted to use the humble little egg in a way that I previously had not.

Enter Katie, my best friend, the maid of honor at our wedding and an all around awesome, smart and funny chick. As soon as I told her about my new adventure in cooking, she asked if I had ever made Idaho Sunrises before. I think I replied with an ultra graceful, “what the fuck is that??” and once she explained it I was sold on the idea. It’s a really cheap, quick and yummy use of an egg. I would definitely encourage you to try these out. They are a really great way to use up those last few potatoes in the bag too!

Idaho Sunrise
Makes 1

1 medium russet potato
1 egg
Salt & Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake the potato until done, or nuke about four minutes in a microwave if you’re in a rush. Cut the upper ⅓ of the potato off, and then gently scoop out most of the potato, leaving a potato-shell of sorts. Season the inside of the potato with salt and pepper. Crack the egg into a clean bowl, then pour it into the potato. Sprinkle a little more salt and pepper on top of the egg. Bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on how you like your egg. 15 will produce a creamy, melting yolk, and 25 will produce a firm egg white and yolk. Enjoy.
Sorry for the crappy picture. But you get the idea.
This was a super simple way to cook an egg, and Mike even liked it, which is rare for him where eggs are concerned. Good stuff. Mike is whisking me away this weekend for a little getaway as a graduation present….woo! Have a lovely weekend!
XOXO,
Marga

No comments:

Post a Comment