Influence

Friday, June 27, 2014

Cherry Cobbler

So....it is definitely summertime. I spent 15 minutes this morning trying to wrangle my birds nest of hair only to find it basically pointless. If it weren't for the coffee I am currently swigging, there would no redeeming qualities to this morning.

However.....my wonderfully sweet and thoughtful hubby Mike is taking me to BIG BEAR (Woo!) this weekend as a graduation present. He and I have been so busy these last few months, we are really looking forward to, well, not knowing anyone around and just being with each other. Should be a lot of fun...there may even be jet skis involved. I'll definitely give you all the run down next week. Going to be a fantastic weekend, just me and my man.

Speaking of fantastic things....have you seen the cherries in season right now? Holy crap, they are gorgeous. Big, plump, tart morsels of summer time. Cherries being in season coincided with my 52 Weeks of Cooking challenge this week, Stone Fruit (Week 25). I could not wait to share this with you guys. Since you can get your hands on cherries now, there is no reason you shouldn't do just that and enjoy them.

For this challenge, Mike and I spent time pitting cherries....not the most fun activity in the world, but when I was bitching about it he looked over and me and said "It's family bonding time!" I couldn't help but laugh and enjoy it.  Now on to the recipe. Such a simple preparation, and the results were killer. Really good stuff. I hope you try it and enjoy it!
Freshly pitted

With the crumble, ready for the oven

Ready to dig in!!!
Cherry Cobbler
Serves 6

4 cups of cherries, pitted
1 heaping cup of sugar
1 heaping cup of all purpose flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp butter, melted

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. After you have spent precious minutes of your life pitting the cherries and covering yourself in cherry juice, place them in a small baking dish. I used my 5x8 Le Creuset, which is nice and shallow, and perfect for something like this. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Mix in the beaten egg with a fork. You want to achieve a crumbly texture here. It's not going to look like a normal dough. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the cherries, covering as much as possible. Then drizzle the melted butter on top. Bake the cobbler for 35-45 minutes. I went 42 minutes and the crumble was light golden brown. There is something that happens when you bake it. The cherries release their juices but retain their sweetness and it is just magical. Enjoy it plain, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

XOXO,
Marga

No comments:

Post a Comment