Influence

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

More Mexican-inspired food. Anyone seeing a theme here? I just can't seem to help myself. Plus this is one of Mike's favorites. As soon as I got home this was the first thing he really wanted me to make. Who am I to object?? What can I say, I'm a giver. LOL.

Chicken Tortilla Soup for the Crock-pot
*Important note, this is a recipe I developed on my own after doing some research. I do not have specific measurements for the spices. I play it by ear each time and do it by feel. Like a real Italian. Except this is Mexican-ish food. I digress.

Serves 2 with a ton of leftovers (perfect for Mike to take to work)

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
2 cans chicken broth
4 cups of water
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
Granulated Garlic
Chili Pepper
Ground Cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips

Combine all ingredients except the salt in the Crock-pot and turn on high for 6 hours. What you do with the seasonings here is up to you. I would guess that I use about a tablespoon or so of each. In my opinion, you cannot over-flavor anything with cumin because it is freaking delicious. If you like a spicier broth, add more chili/cumin. You really can't go wrong here. It always turns out fabulous. When the chicken is cooked through, an hour or so into the process, take it out and shred it with two forks. Add it back in with the soup. Close to the end of cooking, taste for seasoning, and add salt accordingly. When the soup is done, ladle it into bowls, then top with a sprinkle of cheese and broken up tortilla chips. We use the Kirkland Organic Chips from Costco. They are delicious with much less salt than other brands. If you have fresh cilantro on hand, chop a little and add that on top too. Gives it a nice fresh taste.

As you can tell, this is an incredibly easy meal. You throw some junk in a pot and walk away for most of the day. And the flavors just keep building overnight in the fridge too. It's always better the next day. This is a pretty healthy dinner too, with the only fat coming from the cheese you add at the end...but if you don't add a huge amount it's negligible. Mike gives this soup 2 thumbs up.

1 comment:

  1. Omg this sounds amazing marga! Like, for realz amazing. I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete