Influence

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Matzo BOMB Soup

What an interesting week it has been so far. Let's see...my henna disaster is healing (And let all the brother's and sister's say, AMEN!), finally have an interview lined up at a company I really want the privilege to work at, and Mike and I have been chugging along with the Insanity.

Last night was Day 15 for our workouts...so we had our second Fit Test and then took measurements. So far, after 2 weeks, I've lost 5lbs and several inches. Considering the fact that these workouts are building muscle, I'm pretty happy with the progress. The numbers are headed in the right direction. And with all the hard work we're putting in, I'm happy to see it starting to pay off. So...15 days completed. 48 to go. 

Of course, the food-stuffs as of late, have been slightly more focused on being health-conscious. Last night, I made Matzo Ball Soup. But...now I call it Matzo Bomb Soup. Why, you ask?? Because it's a cuter name. And this soup is ALWAYS delicious. Add to that the fact that it's high in lean protein due to the chicken, and pretty much fat-free. Very excellent post-workout food. 

Also, it's one of those concoctions that is practically impossible to muck up. In fact, the longer you leave it the hell alone, the better it tastes. So, have bills to pay? Or need to flat iron your hair? Or change a tire? Or have a gopher to blow up with dynamite Caddyshack style?? Go for it. This soup will be waiting for you when you're done. I would go so far as to suggest you listen to the Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture to accompany it. Because it's da bomb.

See what I did there??? Cookies to whoever guesses the correlation in the comments!

Alright...enough goph....errr..monkey business. Here's the recipe!

Matzo Bomb Soup
Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
4 stalks of celery, cleaned and chopped
4 baby carrots or 2 big ones, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped (any color will do, the long simmer mellows the flavor)
2 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
8 cups water
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 packet of Manischewitz Matzo Ball Mix
2 eggs
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

Start by adding the chicken broth and water to a large pot. The pot I would have normally used was MIA, so I ended up using a ginormous one. But the result is the same.
As the broth comes up to a boil,  prep your veggies and add the chicken and bouillon powder. I used frozen chicken, so adding it to boiling water will defrost and cook in one simple step.
Once all your veggies are chopped, throw them in the pot. Turn the heat to medium. Now is your time to escape for a good hour or so. This gives the broth a chance to really come together flavor-wise.
Your soup will look something like this
before you run away and enjoy your free time.
Note the freakishly large pot.
When you return from doing..well..whatever with your lovely free time, the chicken should be cooked through. Take it out of the pot and shred it with 2 forks and then return it to the pot.
At this point you can finish the soup, or turn it off and walk away for another hour or so, like I did. Mike was on his way home, and we had our Fit Test to do.
When you're ready, mix up the matzo balls as per the packages direction, and let sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
I should get paid for all the plugs I give lol

Turn the stove back on, and bring the soup to a boil. When it's bubbling happily, take the matzo mix out of the fridge and roll out little balls with your (clean) hands. Drop them gently into the soup. They only take a couple minutes, and when they're floating, they're done.
Here's a fun series of pictures with the Matzo Bombs beings dropped in:
Ready to drop!
Release!
Plop!

Ladle some of that love into a bowl and dig in!
Mmmmm!

Notes on this recipe: this is my adaptation of the way my Mom makes this soup. Over the years, she started adding dill, and although that makes for a delicate herb taste, I prefer my Jewish Penicillin (the anecdotal name for this soup) unadulterated. Meaning, jacked up chicken broth with lots of meaty chicken and light, fluffy matzo balls. The veggies have a way of simmering down into melt-in-your-mouth goodness. It's so damn good.

Also...this recipe won me the "Matzo Ball Smackdown" a couple of years ago with some friends. And I proudly hold this title. I think it's a real winner because it's so simple, and the flavors are so clean and light. And it's healthy to boot.

Enjoy your soup kids. Boom!

1 comment:

  1. Omg I'm so happy you put this up. I'm so so so stealing this recipe and adding to my repitoire. It was so good when i tried it on my first shabbat. :)

    ReplyDelete