Influence

Monday, January 16, 2012

National Soup Month

Back to work today after a wonderful weekend of doing, well, not much. I'm happy to report Mike and I  were in our PJ's for the majority of the weekend, and pizza was involved. Also, we finally finished season one of The Walking Dead. Holy crap that's a good show; can't wait to dig into the next season. Anyone have ideas for scamming season twos' episodes?? Let me know!

So, as I was back into the office today, I was skimming the news and came across something I find relevant. Aside from today being MLK Jr. Day; (please don't think I'm down playing the importance of one of the foremost leaders in equality of the past 100 years)...January is National Soup Month. What perfect timing, the weather is chilly, and I'm a big fan of a steaming bowl of soup.

Soup is like a universal language. Everyone remembers the Soup Nazi on Seinfield. Every culture has their own distinct version of this comfort food. Think about it, across the world there are hundreds of regional soups, New England clam chowder, Spanish gazpacho, Russian borscht, French onion, Chinese wor won ton  and one of my all-time favorites, Jewish matzo-ball (or as I refer to it, Jewish penicillin). Soup, is probably as old as cooking itself. The act of combining ingredients in a pot to create a filling, nutritious meal that is easy to make and serve is one that spans history.

Since the beginning of this blog, I've posted several of my favorite soup recipes:

Egg Drop Soup
Refried Bean Soup
Cream of Broccoli
Matzo BOMB Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup

Since this month is dedicated to all things soupy, I highly recommend you all getting some soup on the stove!! Aside from my posts, here are a few more sites to inspire you:

Smitten Kitchen this is a fabulous site with beautiful, delicious recipes. Their soup section is pretty great looking.
All Recipes is a fallback for me. Any time I need help coming up with an idea, I go here and find great recipes to work off of, including soup recipes.

Remember, soups are easy. They're the liquid equivalent of the kitchen-sink burrito. You can throw just about anything in and it'll turn out great. Leftover veggies, meat or grains? Throw them in a pot, walk away for awhile, and there you have it. Comfort in a bowl. Little else is so economical in the kitchen, along with being generally healthful and delicious.

Soup's on folks!

1 comment:

  1. hence why i always keep chicken stock and/or tomato sauce in my cupboards!

    ReplyDelete