Influence

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

52 Weeks of Cooking - Week 7

WARNING! The recipe below contains a butter sauce... it is NOT HEALTHY. However, it was freaking delicious.

Week 7 of the challenge was themed “poaching”. I am not a huge fan of poached eggs, so I decided to focus more on the cooking technique here. Poaching is the act of gently cooking something in simmering liquid. Simmering, not boiling. It’s pretty simple too.

I approached this challenge like I have many other weeks, in wanting to try something new. So in the end, Mike and I made Butter Poached Shrimp. Oh man, they were delicious. Perfectly cooked, buttery, salty gems from the sea. I really liked how simple this was, but I have yet to repeat it. I think actually cooking in butter is seriously decadent. It’s not an every night of the week affair.

This would be a great dinner to pull together for company though. It looks impressive and fancy even though it’s done in less than 10 minutes. That’s a win.

Butter Poached Shrimp

Serves 2

10 medium sized peeled and deveined shrimp
1 cup butter/margarine
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place the butter and the juice from half the lemon into a sauce pan. Slowly melt the better over medium-low heat. When the butter sauce begins to simmer, place the shrimp in the pan and poach them. This will only take a few minutes. The shrimp are done when they are pink. Keep a close watch, overcooked shrimp can be rubbery.



As you can see here, I served them up with some steamed broccoli and rice pilaf. Pretty simple stuff. I also used the 2 remaining lemon wedges to give the shrimp and broccoli a little extra zing.

XOXO,
Marga

No comments:

Post a Comment