Influence

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Wednesday Inspiration

I know what I’m about to say might sound a little weird. Maybe even a little crazy. But I’m going to ask that you reserve your judgement until the end of this post.

*Deep breath.

Sometimes…..I shop for produce….at the Dollar Store. DUN DUN DUN!!!!!

OKAY. There. I said it.

I can feel you judging me through your computer screens!!!! But hold on. There is a point here.

Have you ever heard the saying, “if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck...it must be a duck?” I propose the same theory here. If I happen to be at the dollar store getting party supplies or whatever, and see produce that looks pretty much the same as produce at a more traditional grocery store…..well, is it the same? I’m going to go ahead and say yes. Just like I would at any other produce department, I give my selected veggies a good once over for discoloration, bruising or other unsightliness. And then I pay $1 for each of them. Which is almost always going to be a better deal than a grocery store.

In fact, I did a quick cost comparison. At Stater Bro’s you can get zucchini and yellow squash for anywhere between $2 and $4 per pound. At the dollar store, pre packaged bundles are $1. You do the math. And as long as there is some kind of dollar store type retailer near your home, you are saving both time AND money. That’s what I’m talking about!

Also, since most of you lovely readers out there live in Southern California like I do, I know most of you have Mexican grocers near you! In a 5 mile span from our house we have a Cardenas, Superior, Super King and an El Super. You want to talk about cheap produce? How does 5lbs of onions sound for .99???? Yes really. That’s an actual thing.

So get out there. Get to know your neighborhood grocery options better, and save some money in the process!

XOXO,
Marga

No comments:

Post a Comment