Influence

Friday, August 15, 2014

Roasted Garlic White Chili

This week has been freaking CRAY. I’ve had so much to get done, and Mike has too. So when I walk through the door and dinner is literally already waiting for us, it’s a reason to smile. I love using my crock pot. It’s so easy, and you can combine basically anything and you know it’s going to turn out well. In this case, I loaded up my crock with white chili. This is the epitome of a "dump and go" recipe. But this isn't just any ordinary white chili. I bumped up the flavor with LOTS of roasted garlic. Ah yeah. You see where this is going!

Lately Mike and I have been on a healthy kick. What this has really meant, is that anything I’m making is going to have about twice the amount of garlic I’d normally use, or twice the amount of chili pepper. Mama needs her flavor! However, I really loved how this chili turned out. It’s healthy, cheap and tasted freaking bomb. And, it was even better the next day at work for lunch!

Roasted Garlic White Chili

Serves 4

1lb of chicken, chopped into ½ inch pieces
1 head of garlic, roasted (recipe below!)
1 medium onion, diced
2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cans white beans (I used cannellini) drained and rinsed
1 can chopped green chilies
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tspn dried oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cilantro for garnish



Add all of the ingredients except the salt and cilantro to your crock pot. Set on low for 8 hours. When the chili is done, season with salt to taste and ladle into bowls. Top with the cilantro. It’s also great with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, but you can omit that if you’re watching your calories/fat.

Roasted Garlic

Several years ago I roasted garlic for the first time. I was shocked at how simple it was, and have been doing it since. It really mellows the garlic out, and it gives your food such a wonderful flavor. Go home and roast garlic people!

1 head of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil

So I made an extra to keep in the fridge. Is this really a surprise to anyone??? =P

Drizzled with olive oil

Ready to smear on anything
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut the top of the garlic off. You just want to expose the bulbs. Place the garlic in a large sheet of aluminum foil, then drizzle the olive oil on top. Seal up the foil to create a packet. Roast for 45 minutes to an hour. When they are done and your house smells AMAZING, let them cool off for about 15 minutes. Then carefully open the packet. You will be able to squeeze the bulbs out with no problem. This garlicky goodness is even great on toast. Or just all by itself. Seriously, it’s SO GOOD! And it will keep in the fridge for about a week.

XOXO,
Marga

No comments:

Post a Comment